Top 10 most dangerous volcanoes in the world
Volcanic eruptions have claimed millions of lives and continue to scare people. This is a real catastrophe, which can begin suddenly and lead to sad irreparable consequences. There are volcanoes on the planet that can be safely called the most dangerous.
Top 10 most dangerous volcanoes in the world:
- In Yellowstone National Park of America is a volcano of the same name, which in ancient times was a supervolcano, sweeping away all life in its path. And although the last time the activity was manifested, as scientists established, about six hundred thousand years ago, it can resume at any time. Today, millions of tourists annually visit these impressive places to see amazing things with their own eyes: hot springs and geysers. And this is not only beautiful, but also dangerous. The researchers found that the heating of the water leaving the bowels of the earth may signal that a huge clot of magma is gradually rising to the surface from the center of the volcano. And if it breaks out, it will be a catastrophe on a global scale.The eruption can destroy the nature of the surroundings, kill 90,000 local residents and radically change the landscape of the United States.
- Listing the most dangerous volcanoes, Vesuvius is worth mentioning. It has a relatively small height (1281 meters) located in Italy and is the only European volcano that has erupted over the past hundred years. It was he who destroyed Pompeii, and the death of this city in his painting was reflected by Karl Bryullov. Also under the pressure of the mountain Herkulan fell. Moreover, the city of Pompeii was completely destroyed and instantly buried: the majority burned down under the influence of lava, and everything else was buried by ashes. As a result, a unique open-air museum appeared in Italy, reminiscent of sad events. The last peak of activity occurred in the 44th year of the last century, and so far the volcano “sleeps”. But scientists believe that the explosion can occur at any time, because the frequency of eruptions previously was once every twenty years. And yet some daredevils inhabit the neighborhood.
- The volcano with a complex name Popocatepetl is in Mexico, and its height exceeds five kilometers! He is active, but erupted last time in the 2000th.Then, on time, the local authorities, who noticed something wrong, managed to evacuate more than forty thousand people, thereby saving them from certain death. But people still live in the vicinity of the mountain, and the radius of action with a strong large-scale explosion can affect the vast territory in which more than 9 million Mexicans are stationed. And this may well happen, because in five hundred years Popocatepetl erupted as many as twenty times!
- In Japan is not very large, but dangerous volcano Sakuradzima. The altitude is slightly more than 1100 meters, but for its high activity and unpredictability the mountain is sometimes called “East Vesuvius”, which is fully justified. Once upon a time, Sakurajima rose from the water and was a separate island for a long time, but at the beginning of the last century an eruption occurred that formed a kind of bridge between the mountain and the territory of the country. The volcano is recognized as one of the most active, because over the past forty-five years there have been more than seventy eruptions! And although not all of them were strong, a huge explosion with a splash of boiling lava can wipe out nearby territory. The last time the activity was observed a few years ago, and in 2009, stones from the crater flew for two miles.
- Colombian Galeras is quite high (more than 4,200 meters) and last showed itself in 2010, and then the local authorities had to urgently evacuate three thousand people living near the slopes. By the way, the activity has been manifested for about a million years, and the frequency of eruptions is unpredictable: Galeras may “sleep” for several years, but then explode annually. It is just such a bad character that makes the volcano one of the most dangerous on the planet and makes the population of Colombia and Ecuador survive (the mountain is located on the border with this country, so the lava flowing down the slopes and flying ashes in all directions may well affect the state and cause great damage to it).
- Merapi is located in Indonesia, and its name literally translates as “mountain of fire”, which fully reflects the behavior of this volcano. It has a height of less than three kilometers and last showed itself in the 2010th. Moreover, scientists have proven that Merapi has been operating and regularly erupting for more than ten thousand years, and each eruption is accompanied by the outpouring of huge streams of red-hot lava that burns everything in its path. In Indonesia and the surrounding area, the volcano simply has no equal, it keeps all the locals at bay.Several years ago, more than 350 people died at the foot, and more than three hundred thousand were left without shelter. And after this disaster, the government finally developed a scheme for evacuation.
- Nyiragongo is a 3,47-kilometer-high mountain in the Congo. Over the past 135 years, at least thirty-four eruptions have occurred, the worst of which happened in September 2002. The hot lava which was rapidly descending along the mountain slopes affected almost half of the territory located at the foot of the city of Goma and claimed the lives of one hundred and forty-seven people. More than 120 thousand inhabitants lost their homes due to the eruption, and many received serious burns and injuries. Terrible events took place in the 77th year of the last century, when a part of the crater fell off, and a hot stone rolled down through the villages, destroying everything around. Living here is incredibly dangerous.
- Papua New Guinea - the birthplace of the volcano Ulavun, which last showed activity only a few years ago. The mountain with a height of more than 2.3 kilometers has the correct forms and looks very majestic, so the locals treat it with great respect and consider it the father of their lands.But the volcano from the eighteenth century erupted more than twenty times, and some explosions were very powerful. The last burst of activity was observed in the 80th year of the last century, and then a huge column of ash escaped from the crater, which literally covered the whole mountain with its pyroclastic flows. To this day, the Papuans observe weak eruptions, but at any moment the most terrible and irreparable can occur.
- In the Philippines there is a volcano with a beautiful and melodious name Taal. The mountain is located on an island in the lake of the same name and barely exceeds three hundred meters in height, but the Filipinos have already managed to verify its danger and uneasy disposition. Although the last time Taal erupted in the 65th year of the last century, no one can guarantee the preservation of calm. A powerful surge of activity was observed in the early twentieth century, and then more than 1,300 people died. In addition, the hot lava flowing down the slopes almost completely destroyed all life within a radius of ten kilometers.
- Mauna Loa Volcano is located in Hawaii and is not only one of the most dangerous, but also has impressive dimensions - more than 4,160 meters in height.The last time an eruption was observed in the 84th year of the 20th century, and the active volcano became more than seven hundred thousand years ago. But it is reassuring that liquid magma comes out and flows down the slopes rather slowly, so the residents, having noticed the danger in time, will be able to evacuate and avoid death. And yet nature is unpredictable, so volcanologists believe that a catastrophic eruption is likely, which can cause serious damage.
These were the most dangerous volcanoes, keeping millions of people living nearby in fear.
Into the eyes of meanness. How to maintain balance after a strike
How to live on 10,000 rubles per month
Simple power supply with adjustable voltage
How to use oak bark correctly
Make-up after 40 years