People Learn Disturbing Sushi Facts While Eating Sushi
The disturbing thing sushi could be doing to your stomach
There's potentially bad news for sushi lovers.
The INSIDER Summary:
- Doctors say the rising popularity of sushi in the West is leading to more parasitic infections.
- A 32-year-old man in Lisbon was recently found to have a parasitic disease called anisakiasis after eating sushi.
- The disease is mostly reported in Japan, but it's becoming more common in Western countries.
*Graphic images below*
This is a seriously bad time for sushi lovers. After being told that the 'healthy' lunch option can often contain more calories than you might think, doctors have issued a warning which could put you off nigri and maki all together.
Writing in the "British Medical Journal," doctors say the rising popularity of eating sushi in the West may be to blame for a growing number of people experiencing parasitic infections.
The report comes after a 32-year-old man in Lisbon was found to have parasite larvae on his gut lining after he suffered from severe upper gut pain, vomiting and fever for a week. A physical examination showed he had "moderate abdominal tenderness" but it was only after doctors found out he had eaten sushi that they suspected he had anisakiasis, a parasitic disease caused by worms that can invade the stomach wall or intestine of humans.
Anisakiasis is known to occur when infected larvae are ingested from undercooked or raw fish or squid. When doctors performed an endoscopy on the man, they found the larvae of a worm-like parasite attached to the gut lining. After they removed the larvae with a net, the man's symptoms soon cleared up.
Dr Joana Carmo, a gastroenterologist at the Hospital of Egas Moniz in Lisbon, said that although most cases of anisakiasis were reported in Japan, it is becoming more common in Western countries.
"Owing to changes in food habits, anisakiasis is a growing disease in Western countries, which should be suspected in patients with a history of ingestion of raw or uncooked fish," Dr Carmo explained.
"Patients can have allergic symptoms. Gastrointestinal symptoms include abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting and complications like digestive bleeding, bowel obstruction, perforation and peritonitis can also arise."
The NHS warns that eating fish that is not fresh or that has not been stored and prepared hygienically can lead to food poisoning. "Thorough cooking usually kills any bacteria or viruses," the health service says, but raw fish or shellfish, such as oysters, can be contaminated with toxins, which can lead to nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain.
Under EU regulations, commercial shellfish is regulated and tested but the Food Standards Agency advises that older people, pregnant women, very young children and people who are unwell should avoid eating raw or lightly cooked shellfish to reduce their risk of getting food poisoning.
Video: WARNING!! TAPEWORM SUSHI! Would You Eat This?
How to Be Proud to Be Black
How to Cook a Cucumber
15 Cute Hairstyles with Braids
How to Know if a Cat Is a Stray
11 Easy DIY Detox Bath Salts Recipes
28 Emmys Red Carpet Looks That Are Definitely Worth Seeing
Get inside the head of a recruiter
How to Straighten Your Back
8 Energy Boosters to Beat Menopause Fatigue
There is no safe amount of alcohol