Pros and cons of wooden utensils
Wooden dishes were used by our ancestors, but to this day it remains in use and is actively used by hostesses. But in order not to be disappointed, you need to find out all the pros and cons, as well as take into account the particular features of the choice.
How did wooden utensils appear, how is it made today?
The history of the appearance of wooden utensils dates back to ancient times. Her homeland is not known, but absolutely table wooden items were made in Russia. Such a craft was common and honorable, and various breeds were used. The handling was simple and somewhat primitive.
Over time, production has improved: changed materials, technology and processing methods. Modern cutlery go through several stages of manufacturing. Billets obtained after cutting are sent to the plants and placed in woodworking lathes. So the original form appears. This is followed by sanding the surface and polishing it for smoothness.And that modern dishes served for a long time, it is covered with special oil impregnations and treated with a protective varnish. This allows you to prevent the effects of external negative factors, such as moisture.
Interesting fact! Some small or original piece devices are still cut by hand.
Advantages and disadvantages
Consider the main advantages of dishes made of wood:
- Some types of wood have antibacterial properties, due to which the material does not practically multiply pathogenic microorganisms.
- Wood is an environmentally friendly material that not only does not harm the body, but also has a beneficial effect on it.
- Wooden utensils exude a special characteristic smell, which is transmitted to the food and gives the dishes a special flavor and taste.
- Low thermal conductivity. A plate with hot soup poured into it will not heat up and will definitely not burn your hands when accidentally touched. But the contents will remain at a temperature for a long time and will not cool.
- Products that are in wooden dishes perfectly preserve their taste and do not deteriorate. They can acquire the smell of wood, but it will do good.
- High strength. Such dishes will not break if they accidentally fall and are unlikely to crack, even with a significant mechanical effect.
- Cutlery made of such a noble natural material will create a special atmosphere, fill the kitchen with the age-old Russian entourage and bring comfort to the room. The tree has always been associated with the home, family warmth.
- Such dishes are ideal for the smallest, since they absolutely will not harm the child.
- All devices have a negligible weight.
- Products are pleasant to touch: they are not cold and quickly acquire the temperature of the human body.
But wooden dishes have disadvantages:
- Special care is required. So, it is necessary to store the dishes in a room with a normal level of humidity (45-60%), to protect it from exposure to water. Wash the devices with your hands and without aggressive household tools. Dishwasher can not be used. And after washing it is necessary to wipe objects dry.
- Over time, after prolonged use, the surface may change shade and darken, which will affect the appearance.
- Wood is a porous material, and because of this structure absorbs all extraneous odors.So if there was a sharply smelling food in the dishes for a long time, then the device may start to smell specifically or even unpleasantly.
- Because of the lightness of the device may be unstable. Especially it concerns plates and different bowls.
- With prolonged exposure to moisture in the tree can form mold, which is not easy to get rid of.
- The price is quite high, especially when compared with more familiar porcelain or ceramic products.
How to choose high-quality wooden dishes? When buying, pay attention to a few important points:
- Manufacturer country. Give preference to the CIS countries, which not only monitor the quality, but also follow the tradition.
- Purpose There are cutlery designed for serving food, and there are decorative items used exclusively to decorate the kitchen or an attractive table setting.
- A tree species. Different types of wood are used to make dishes, but some are especially valued and suitable for serving food. So, larch, alder, juniper, cedar, aspen and conifers have strength and a pleasant characteristic odor, and also have natural antibacterial properties.
- Pay attention to the thickness of the walls, which should be about 6-8 millimeters. Dishes with thin walls will be fragile and unreliable.
- Before the purchase, ask the seller for certificates and other documentation confirming the origin, material, properties and purpose. If the documents indicate that the devices are not suitable for food purposes, that is, they can not.
- Inspect the surface of the product: it must be whole, smooth, without cracks. Through the chips and other damage will inevitably penetrate the moisture, which provokes the spoilage of the material.
- The subject must have regular forms. Deformation suggests that the dishes were stored incorrectly, subjected to temperature changes or exposure to moisture.
If you use wooden utensils correctly, it will serve for a long time, preserving the original characteristics and aesthetic appearance.
- First, after each use, you need to thoroughly wash and dry all the devices. Do not use a hard sponge or detergent containing aggressive chemical ingredients. To wipe, use a soft, absorbent cloth.
- Secondly, do not put very hot food in the pot, especially for a long time. Sudden drops and significant increases in temperature can deform the material and spoil it.
- Third, properly store the dishes from the tree. Send it to the closet and protect it from direct sunlight, water, heat. You should not leave food in the plates for a long time and, even less, put them in the refrigerator. Devices intended for the consumption of food or for serving.
- Fourthly, follow the main characteristics. For example, if a spoon or other device is darkened, you can wipe the surface with hydrogen peroxide to return the same shade. And with the appearance of foreign odors, you can pour the object with boiling water and leave it in the open air for airing.
Important! Wooden dishes are not designed for heating food in the microwave and cooking in the oven. It should not be exposed to thermal influences.
If you decide to purchase dishes from wood, you can appreciate all its benefits. But for this, be attentive to the choice, and also follow all the important rules of operation and maintenance.And then the devices will please the eye and serve for a long time.
Winter crafts in the garden: a flashlight made of paper
Tiara like Megan - the most desired accessory for a wedding
Getting fire from an empty lighter
How to catch pike - advice of professional fishermen
Unusual design wall clocks
Such a tile you have not seen More than 30 amazing photo ideas