How To Say Goodbye To Your Best Friend
How to Say Goodbye to Your Best Friend That Is Moving
Saying goodbye to a friend is not an easy thing to do, but it's something most people go through from time to time. Just because your friend is moving doesn't mean you won't still be close. Giving your friend a heartfelt send-off is a great way to show you're still invested in the friendship. Read on to find out how to say goodbye - or more appropriately, "Til next time."
Saying Goodbye With a Gift
Make a friendship photo album.You've probably collected dozens of pictures of you and your friend together throughout the years. Putting them all together in a photo album is a wonderful way to commemorate your friendship and give your friend a keepsake to take to his or her new home.
Make a friendship bracelet.This is a classic way to show a friend you care. Friendship bracelets are trendy, thoughtful gifts for both boys and girls, and they're not hard to make. Go to a craft store and buy some embroidery thread, then braid or weave it in a colorful pattern. Tie the ends together and clip the excess thread.
- Make matching bracelets, one for you and one for your friend, so that you'll think of each other when you look at them.
- You can buy friendship bracelets or necklaces made from silver or gold if you want to go for something more expensive. Choose the classic broken heart halves (one for you, the other for your friend) or a variety of other available designs.
Give your friend a care package.Moving to a new place can be hard. Chances are your friend will need several weeks to get adjusted, and she won't feel at home for a long time. Giving her a care package filled with things that remind her of home will help her feeling comforted when she's missing you and her old town.
- Choose a container for the package. You can decorate a box, use a gift bag, or repurpose a tote bag or purse.
- Add a few things that represent your hometown. You could include incense or candles from your favorite shop, a book from the bookstore where you've always hung out together, or a mug from the coffee shop where you met before school.
- Include some tasty comfort foods. Make your friend a batch of cookies to enjoy on the flight to her new city, or slip in an array of her favorite candy.
Writing a Goodbye Letter
Reflect on your friendship.Saying goodbye is actually a unique opportunity to think back on your friendship and tell your friend how much it has meant to you. It's not often friends get the chance to do that, so take advantage. Writing it all down in a letter is cathartic, and your friend will be able to treasure it forever.
- Write down your recollection of how you met. Do you remember the first time you and your friend hit it off? Sometimes you just know when someone you meet is going to end up being a great friend.
- Write down some of your favorite memories. Recall movies you saw together, concerts you attended, fun sleepovers you had.
- If you want, open your heart even more. You can talk about the bad times, too, and how much the two of you have grown as friends as a result of overcoming them.
Lighten the tone with some jokes.Saying goodbye is sad, but it's something you'll both get through. Your friend will have a lot of adjustments to make, and as her BFF it's your job to cheer her up. Throw in some lighthearted stories or jokes that will make her laugh when she unfolds your letter.
- Draw funny cartoon scenes of the two of you together.
- Write something in code and include a decoder on the back of the letter.
Having a Goodbye Celebration
Go to your friend's favorite places.Spending a day doing the things you've always loved to do together is a fun way to say goodbye. You could do something special like going to a baseball game or concert. Go out to dinner at your friend's favorite restaurant, or cook dinner at your place for a more intimate setting.
Throw a party.If you and your friend have other friends in common, give your friend a great send-off with a party. It can be a surprise or not - you know your friend best, so you decide. You could choose to have a party with a theme or just keep it simple by gathering at a restaurant for a goodbye dinner.
Saying the Words
See your friend off at the bus station or airport.Spending those last few minutes with your friend before everything changes will be priceless. If it's not possible to see her off at the station, plan a different time to say goodbye in the last few days before she leaves.
- Ask your friend if she needs help packing. That's a good way to spend time with her and help her reduce the stress of moving.
- She may be busy with her family during those last few days. If that's the case, drop by for an hour or so to say your goodbyes.
Tell your friend how you feel.There's no one way to say "goodbye." The best way to do it is to be truthful about how you feel. Even if you aren't entirely eloquent, your friend will know how much you care. The warmth and love you express will bolster her courage to move to a new place and start over.
- It can be hard to directly express deep feelings to someone else, but now is the time to do it. Tell your friend you love her and will miss her.
- Sometimes "goodbye" is too hard to say. A hug and a sincere smile will tell your friend everything she needs to know.
QuestionI am in 5th grade, and I made a friend who I am close with, but not best friends. We never hug, but she is moving. How do I say goodbye without it being awkward?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTell her that the friendship you had with her was valuable and it was great to have a friend like her.Thanks!
QuestionWhat if my friend is moving to another country? How do we keep in touch?Community AnswerTry using Skype or FaceTime to talk to her. You could also use a texting app like WhatsApp, Line, or SnapChat, or just use regular texting.Thanks!
QuestionI'm going to another high school next year, and my friends know that I'm leaving. I want to find a way on the last day of school which is our 8th grade gradution to say goodbye. What can I do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerSee if you could give a touching speech in which you should include your friends and how much their friendship meant to you. They should remember it their whole lives, and you can also give them small gifts if you can.Thanks!
QuestionMy best friend is moving to another part of the country, what should I do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTry and have one last sleepover or hang out together before they leave, and make a time capsule with all your memories the day before he/she moves. You'll get through it.Thanks!
QuestionMy friend just moved to another country. We used to text daily, but now my mom told me I'm addicted and I can only text on the weekend. What do I do?Jada WilliamsCommunity AnswerTry to explain to your mother that your friend just moved away and it's a little hard for you, and ask if you could at least speak to your friend once or twice during the week. If your mother still says no, then your best bet is to explain to your friend that you can only text on the weekend. I'm sure she'll understand.Thanks!
QuestionMy best friend is switching schools and I don't know if I'll see her again. What do I do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerDon't worry. If you guys are good friends, you'll stay in touch no matter what. You can always text, Skype, FaceTime, etc. Have faith. Rather than worrying about her departure, you should concentrate on giving her a nice farewell.Thanks!
QuestionMy best friend is leaving for Florida this year. I want to say goodbye in a big way. What should I do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerI would write them a long letter for every way they could feel. For example, you could write a letter for when they're feeling sad, and label it "for when you're feeling sad", etc.Thanks!
QuestionMy two best friends are moving to different schools where they will be boarding full time. The rest of my year are bullies and hate me. What do I do?!Community AnswerTry to find some friends in the next grade, or the grade under you. Surely you'll find somebody.Thanks!
QuestionWhat do I say when I am just getting homeschooled, and I don't know what to say to my best friends? What am I supposed to do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerGetting homeschooled doesn't mean you'll never see your friends again. It just means you might see them less. Don't say goodbye, say see you later.Thanks!
QuestionI'm moving away to another state and I said goodbye to my best friend today. I'm moving in two days and we're both busy so we can't hangout one last time. How do I stop being so sad?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTry thinking about some of your good memories, in the beginning it might make you more sad, but be happy that you had the opportunity to meet her. You can always FaceTime each other, maybe make a special day of the week where you call her up to talk.Thanks!
To say goodbye to a friend in person, honestly tell them how much they mean to you, and let them know you love them and will miss them. If that’s too hard, send them off with a warm hug and a kind smile, or throw them a goodbye celebration before they go to show them you care. Alternatively, if you can’t say bye in person, try writing a thoughtful letter filled with your favorite memories, like how the two of you met or movies you saw together, and end with a promise to stay in touch.
- Don't stop being best friends, and don't lose contact.
- Let him or her know that you will still be friends and keep in touch.
- Although you may think you need to be cheerful, sometimes your friend might take that the wrong way. Don't be afraid to show some emotions. It's okay that you feel bad about your friend leaving.
- Tell them how much they mean to you and promise stay in touch.
- Remember that no matter the physical distance, you can still keep a healthy relationship alive with your friend.
- Sometimes the best thing is moving. There are reasons for that. Don't give up! Keep your head up high, your friend might be having a tougher time saying goodbye to not just you, but the rest of their friends, while you are only saying goodbye to them.
- When you find out your friend is moving, try to strengthen the bond between you and other friends, so that when they are gone you don't feel as bad.
- Be as cheerful as possible and smile when she or he leaves.
- Give them something to remember you by and promise to keep in touch. See if you can arrange a time to visit them.
- Don't spend your time crying or pouting about it. Spend every moment with them so that they know you care.
- When you are saying goodbye make a gift so your friend knows how much he or her meant to you .
- Write letters and try to stay in contact.
- Do what she wants to do on that last day, but keep in mind that it's not "her" day, it's "our" day.
- Tell them that you'll never keep them out of your mind.
- You absolutely need to stay in touch as much as you can especially if you haven't known them for a long time, they don't want to forget you.
- Make a time capsule together and put memories in it that you shared & bury before they leave. The next time you see them dig it up and look at the memories together! :-).
- Spend as much time with him or her for as long as possible. Then you'll know that you had lots of memories!
- They probably didn't choose to move, so don't get angry with them or blame them for it. Be as supportive as possible and try to cheer them up if you can.
- Tell them you will miss them, and tell them you will keep in touch.
- Give him/her a gift to remember you.
- Review good memories you have had together.
- Don't forget to call, email or text him/her on a regular basis.
- Tell them what are your feelings and give them a sweet gift.
- Be happy for them, don't act disappointed. It will make them feel bad.
- Tell them out how you feel and try not to cry to much when they go or tell you or they mention it. If you have to cry, do it at home! There's no shame in crying.
- Tell him or her that it will be okay and give them a hug goodbye.
- Spend a last day together doing something that you both love.
- Always be there for them, it's hard, but this is probably hard on them too. Stay in touch and promise to do things together, set goals for things you want to do, and stick with them. Best friends are important keep them close.
In other languages:
Español: , Português: , Italiano: , Français: , Deutsch: , 中文: , Русский: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Nederlands:
Video: saying goodbye to my best friend moving to college
You can see how the smoke moves eastward from the fires in this map powered by WX Shift, a weather forecasting service
7 Gifts for Friends with Fams
When the Fur Flies: A Mans Take on the Controversial Coat
Dont Blame the Alcohol, Blame the Genes
CoQ10: Miracle Supplement or Waste of Money
Michelle Keegan vlogged her smear test to prove theres nothing to be worried about
Sweet mother-in-law stories that have charmed the internet
5 Jackets You Should Have In Your AutumnWinter Wardrobe
Tom Ford Jasmine Rouge Color Holiday Gift Boxes 2013
Fashionable braids Fall 2014
10 Things You Get Wrong About Your Poop
25 Tasty Winter Smoothies to Blend up ThisSeason
How to Prepare to Move out of Your Parents House