How to get your Pesticide License
How to Become an Exterminator in Texas
Although job duties as an exterminator are fairly consistent from region to region, each state varies when it comes to specific laws, rules and regulations. To become an exterminator, or licensed structural pest control applicator in the state of Texas, you must meet minimum requirements and have a license, which requires classroom hours.
Meet the minimum requirements.In Texas, you must be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or GED.
Understand the responsibilities of an exterminator.
- Be able to identify infestations, provide recommendations, make inspection reports, submit bids or estimates, and perform specific services to eliminate, prevent, control and pest infestations.
- Know how to process paperwork and have a full understanding of math, chemistry and biology.
Begin work as an apprentice for an existing extermination business.
- Submit your resume or application to pest control companies in your area. To become an exterminator in Texas, you must log at least 40 work hours to obtain a license.
Begin working toward obtaining an extermination license.In the state of Texas, the Structural Pest Control Act requires all individuals and businesses who perform pest control and extermination duties to have a license.
- Accumulate a minimum of 20 classroom hours. There are specific areas in which to obtain classroom hours.
- Take classes in the ability to recognize pests and pest damages; Federal and state laws, rules and regulations regarding the pest control and extermination industry; Understanding pesticide labels; Practicing and coaching pesticide safety; Non-chemical related pest control techniques; Protection of the environment; Knowledge of pesticide application equipment, techniques and pesticide formulas.
Determine the categories you want to obtain an exterminator license in.
- Choose from the categories of pest control, termite control, wood preservation, lawn and ornamental inspection, weed control, structural fumigation and commodity fumigation.
Work a minimum of 40 hours in each pest control category you plan to receive an exterminator license in.
Generate a minimum of 8 additional classroom hours in each category you plan to receive an exterminator license in.
Complete your training and classroom work within exactly 1 year to avoid having to retrain.
Decide if you want to become a commercial or noncommercial applicator.
- A commercial applicator is part of a pest control or extermination business; whereas a noncommercial applicator is not affiliated with a business but can perform pest control services because they have a license.
QuestionDoes work experience in federal prison qualify?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIf that work involved extermination, yes.Thanks!
QuestionCan an ex-convict obtain an exterminator license?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt depends on your offense, it's date and your location.Thanks!
How do I get my pest control license in Texas?
If you have a felony DWI, will this make you ineligible for a license?
I want to start a business in this field but I want to apply herbicides and fertilizers. What magazine should should I subscribe to and what books should I read to further my knowledge?
How many employees can work under one exterminator's license?
What state pest control license is reciprocal to Texas?
- As an exterminator in Texas, you will have to experience continuing education on pest control and extermination. Exams and re-testing will be required to renew your certifications.
- The Texas Department of Agriculture can be contacted for additional resources, education, and job information at 1-800-835-5832 or by emailing a customer relations representative at .
Video: Pesticide Applicator Training - Laws, Safety, Application & the Environment (1998)
Sweet and Salty Cocoa-Berry Popcorn Recipe
Student Loan Myths
How to Draw Greyhounds
15 Genius Ways to Add Protein Powder to Foods
20 Meatless Foods So Delicious You Won’t Know the Difference
5 Online Menswear Stores You Should Know
4 Ways to Junk a Car
30 Healthy Side Dishes That Satisfy
Strawberry and Chocolate Meringue Recipe
20 Best Benefits Of Sunflower Oil (Surajmukhi Tel) For Skin, Hair And Health
How to Love Your Neighbour
How to Write Instructions
Nicole Miller Launches New Signature Fragrance, Wants Anything ButConventional