Anatomy and Physiology of Digestive System
The human digestive system is the means by which tissues and organs receive nutrients to function. The system breaks down food, extracts nutrients from it, and converts them into energy.
The digestive tract begins this involuntary process once food is consumed. Saliva begins the breakdown of food, and other enzymes in the digestive tract extend this process. As digestion continues, the food is propelled from organ to organ through muscular contractions calledperistalsis.
The largest parts of the digestive system include:
- Esophagus: A hollow tubular organ in the neck and chest area that connects the mouth to the stomach. Muscles here propel food to the stomach.
- Stomach: A large organ that holds and digests food through a cocktail of enzymes and acids. Food remains here for two to eight hours.
- Liver: This organ helps filter toxins from the blood and produces bile, which helps break down proteins, carbohydrates, and fats.
- Gallbladder: This sac-like organ stores bile produced by the liver and then releases it as necessary.
- Pancreas: This organ produces insulin, which aids in the metabolism of sugars.
- Small intestine: The small intestine receives food from the stomach and begins to break down the food while absorbing the majority of its nutrients.
- Large intestine: This organ is filled with billions of harmless bacteria that turn food into feces while removing water and electrolytes for the body’s use.
- Rectum: At the end of the large intestine, this small space is a temporary storage area for feces.
- Anus: This is the external opening of the rectum, through which feces are expelled.
The connection between all of these organs and their fluids requires a delicate balance that can easily be disrupted by numerous factors, including diet, stress, disease, and more.
Video: Anatomy and Physiology 2 anatomy model walk through for digestive system
How to Become an Agent for Cruises
21 Problems Only Women With Big Boobs Understand
Will Telling Your Doctor Youre Being Abused Stop Your Abuser
Cute Short Hairstyles for 2014 – Very Short Hair Style
There was a massive clue about how Game of Thrones will end and we all missed it
Hero Woman Turns Her Fridges Water Dispenser Into a Wine Dispenser
Extremely Hot Game of Thrones’ Star Emilia Clarke Says She Never’ Gets HitOn
MORE: Jenna Lyons’ Best Looks Ever
These Are the Top Parenting Trends for 2019
Season trend: burgundy lipstick
43 Ridiculously Delicious Single-Serving and Mug Dessert Recipes
How to Look Younger Naturally
But for such a scheme to work, a 3D-printing factory would have to be able to use raw Martian materials as inputs. If 3D-printing on other planets really, really works, and its able to print large parts, thats a game-changing thing, Cáceres said
Guide To Linen Clothes For Men: Suits, Shirts More
Festive Rum Butter Punch Recipe